The Dunlap Public Library District is seeking an energetic, creative, service-driven professional to serve as our Assistant Librarian. The Assistant Librarian ensures library patrons receive excellent customer service by providing library circulation services, confidently using library resources to answer reference questions, assisting patrons with ebook check-outs and other computer needs, and developing and conducting library programs including basic computer instruction.
About the library: The Dunlap Public Library District serves a diverse rural and suburban population in the north Peoria, IL region. The library sees, on average, more than 10,000 circulation transactions, about 5,000 patron visits, and program attendance of 460 per month. DPL has a Makerspace including a 3D printer, sewing equipment, Makey Makeys, and is growing their collection in the coming months.
- Supports, promotes, implements, and makes decisions based on established Library policies, guidelines, and programs
- Performs circulation duties for customers, including check out and discharge of materials as needed, collecting payment for fines and bills, updating customer account information, and issuing library cards
- Recommends materials to customers, based on interests and needs
- Assists customers in locating materials not available in the branch
- Assists with technology-related questions including assisting with Makerspace equipment
- Responds to routine reference questions
- Prepares and presents Makerspace programs for adults
- Performs community outreach and programming under the direction of the Adult and Youth Services Librarians
- Performs a wide variety of related routine library tasks
- Shelves books and reads shelves for accurate material placement
- Opens and closes the branch library
- Attends meetings, conferences and workshops
- Models excellent customer service attitude and delivery
- Demonstrates proven computer literacy with adequate keyboarding skills
- Uses effective verbal, written, and discreet communication with management, co-workers, and the public
- Exhibits self-motivation with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities
- Performs duties requiring the exercise of professional skill, initiative and independent judgment
- Successfully handles matters of conflict
- Exhibits knowledge of the Dewey Decimal System and other library-related routines
Experience and Training: Completion of high school / GED and preferably some library experience and computer knowledge, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Schedule: The Assistant Librarian is a part-time, $10.50 position scheduled 2:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Monday-Thursday and rotating every third Saturday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. Weekly hours are 24-30 hours/week.
Benefits include: Paid holidays, vacation, sick and personal time, and participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund.
To apply: submit a cover letter and resume, including three professional references, to: Ashley Huffines, Executive Director via email at email@example.com or visit the library with your paper copy. Position open until May 15, or until position is filled.
Download PDF: Dunlap Public Library – Assistant Librarian
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.