JOB DESCRIPTION: Library Director
Classification: Administrator (Full Time)
Supervisor/Department: Board of Trustees/Administration
Salary Range: $45,000-$65,000
The Board of Trustees of the Dunlap Public Library seeks an exceptional candidate to fill its vacant Director position. Dunlap Public Library serving north Peoria County has a modern Prairie-style facility serving as a community hub in the Village of Dunlap with a district population of 6602 and an annual budget of approximately $500,000. The library values public service and community support, enjoying continuous growth with FY15 circulation of 138,000+ and program attendance of 7,000+, with one of the first MakerSpace programs in the region. The new library director will be responsible for the administration of the library, including staff management, budgeting and overall planning. They must have a vision for future library services, strategies and trends and serve as the library’s ambassador to the community. A demonstration of experience establishing positive working relationships with a library board, staff, patrons and community organizations, as well as advanced knowledge and experience in library organization and procedures will be required.
- Plan, direct and supervise all aspects of library services, facilities and activities.
- Exhibit strong leadership with the ability to inspire staff, board and community.
- Lead the library and staff in a highly professional manner, fostering teamwork and collaboration with an emphasis on community service.
- Direct and control the expenditure of funds within constraints of approved budgets for all needs of the library.
- Supervise 3 full-time and 9 part-time library staff and conduct staff evaluations.
- Prepare financial and statistical reports for the Board of Trustees and the State Library.
- Propose priorities, procedures and general practices to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Advocate for the library and enthusiastically participate in community events and organizations.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program.
- Three to five years of library experience with progressive levels of responsibility and supervisory management.
- Experience in fiscal management and planning.
- Thorough knowledge of public library administration best practices and current trends.
- Experience with continued program expansion, especially technological upgrades, is preferred.
Leadership and Advocacy:
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking ability.
- Demonstrated ability to seek new and alternative funding.
- Ability to promote and market the library through community involvement, collaboration and outreach.
Salary & Benefits
Salary range for this position is $45,000-$65,000.
Interested and qualified applicants should submit a current resume, three professional references, and a cover letter to the Dunlap Public Library. Please submit the materials electronically to: Trustees@dunlaplibrary.org by November 28.